An Email from Roberta (kelsey) Thomas to Scott Thomas (her son) Feb 16, 1999:

Hi Scott,

Here are some notes about my Dad, but don't put this on the internet. Arthur Jonas Kelsey M.D. was born in Monterey, Indiana, Pulaski county, Tippicanoe Township, in 1881. His father was William E. Kelsey who was born in Perry Co. Ohio, in 1835. His mother was Helena (Laney) Sties Kelsey. Helena married William E. Kelsey after his first wife died. She was his housekeeper so I have been told. She was much younger.

Arthur J. Kelsey and Emma Kelsey were the only two children of this marriage. Arthur married Augusta (Keitzer) born in Monterey, Indiana in 1886,. Arthur & Augusta were married in St. Ann's Catholic Church in Monterey May 3, 1904. She was the oldest daughter of Henry and Marietta (Freese) Keitzer.

Arthur attended Monterey schools and after High School graduation attended Rush Medical School in Chicago, Illinois. While in Chicago he lived with Mary Meyers, who I think was Grandma Kelsey's sister. I understand Mary Meyers was a devout Catholic and we have been told that is where he became such a good practicing Catholic. AJK as he was known in Monterey went to daily mass 6AM his entire adult life, while in Indiana.

Here are some facts not in order about my Dad, Arthur Jonas Kelsey. He liked to listen to the radio, read books and the daily Chicago Examiner or Chicago Tribune. He was interested in world affairs. What was new in science, medicine, mechanics, appliances and etc. He was interested in politics, the farmer's life in Monterey and adjoining counties. He went to the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1933 about 30 times. He often took other people who would not get to see such sights with him. He would bring home souvenirs for children in the country. Beads or a necklace. Probably of very little value.

Dad liked to travel. The first trip that I know he took was in 1929. Mary, Catherine, and Charles went on this trip. They drove to Arizone, saw the Apache trail and the Roosevelt Dam which was the big thing in those years, then to California, San Diego, up the coast to Washington, Oregon, Yellowstone, Colorado and back to Monterey. They took many pictures of the wilderness and all the scary things they saw. They slept in a tent, cooked on a Coleman stove. They met friendly people who gave them foods that they came home and talked about such as bing cherries, raspberries, strawberries, and vegetables. They saw lots of bear in Yellowstone and Mother told me how they tied their food up in a tree. She also went into a lot of detail of how frightening the Apache Trail was, with its straight down sides. and narrow road. She was afraid being so far from Indiana, cooking was not easy. They took the back seat out of the car, and layered it with blankets and supplies. They also had a running board on the car that had built in places for supplies. Dad was having such a good time while all the time Mother was just frightened, and considered it all a lot of work. Other trips were to Wisconsin to fish, Colorado to fish, and see Aunt Emma, Dad's only sister and her second husband, Joe Wentzel. AJK traveled to Canada, and across to the Dakotas, Minn. etc. They also went to N.Y., Maine, Washington D.C. etc. Charles and Mary can tell who went on these trips. Ruth and I stayed with Grandmother Keitzer when they went to Colorado while Edward stayed with Grandmother Kelsey in town. Paul and Lawrence were off to college in these days.

As Dad drove he talked about and pointed out every mine, old highway, pasture, etc. He talked about the grasses, trees and crops. AJK was quite mechanical, he could fix everything about our house. In fact he built the big house in Monterey with the help of the Master Bros. who were carpenters. Mary said, she could remember how he sent Paul and Lawrence down to the river bottom to chop down some big trees for the timber for the house.

He always had the latest model of car. Always a Chevolet, two door, black. He did not believe in driving a bigger car than other people in Monterey.  He gave advice to all the farmers and people in Monterey, for he was the most educated. He played the baby grand piano but I can remember he missed a lot of notes. He played the classics. On Sunday morning after church we put on the Victrola and (recorder player that you had to wind up) and listen to the classics while eating our breakfast.

AJK ordered all the books for the Carnegie Library in Monterey. He met a Carnegie while he was in Medical school and asked them to put a library in Monterey which was in 1904 and still in 1999 only a 350 pop. town. Mary (Kelsey) Rrichter said he read all the books before they were put in the library. He liked the Westerns. He was pres. of the Library Board.

AJK had the majority shares in the First National Bank of Monterey. They now are owned by Charles Kelsey. He talked finance with brother-in law Charles Keitzer who also was schooled out of town. Together they knew who was good for a loan to buy a farm or farm equipment.

Some of the things we had that no one else in town had was speakers for our radio that were in what we called was the breakfast room. He wanted to hear the news by Lowel Thomas when he ate his meals. He also loved programs like Amos & Andy, Jack Benny, George & Gracy Allen. These shows made him laugh so hard. We had the first refg. in Monterey, radio, built in writing desk, baby grand piano, oriental rugs in living room, hardwood floors, venetion blinds etc. AJK was really all business. He did not play or hold us that I can remember. He was busy with the paper or resting the few hours that he was at home. He had a special rocker by the radio that he stayed in, in the living room. Radio was from Chicago and in the 1930's reception was not that good. He never took a nap.

When Mother got TB and had to move to Arizona in 1937 where the air was dry. AJK was an entirely different person. None of the family knows him as I did. He was a teaser, a lot of fun. Always wanting to talk to people from another state who too were looking for cures for allergies, lung diseases or rheumatism. When we would go to California in the summers 1938, 39, he would listen to people preaching religion or politics on the street. We thought this entertaining. He never took it as advice.

When we came to Arizona after living a couple of weeks in downtown trailer parks we moved to what is now Cave Creek Road and Cactus in a trailer park. We stayed there 4 winters. Mother got well. Edward and his new bride Vieve (Markley) Kelsey came, rented a cabin for the winter around 1939. They then moved into town where Edward worked for the Fuller Paint Co. In 1942. They started returning to Monterey for the summers. AJK saw patients and Augusta enjoyed seeing her other children. After 1945 Roberta did not return to Indiana for the summer but had summer job in Phoenix. AJK was much needed in Monterey because so many Dr. had to go to help the war effort. Lawrence was too busy and the counties were short of Drs.

Whether we were in Indiana or in Arizona my Dad and mother talked in bed at night. and during meals. They talked about who was sick etc. Who was in town, about the farm, about the crops in the fields. Mother talked about the washing, the problems at the house. Such as the phone ringing and she was in the basement and had to keep running up to answer the calls for the patients who needed a doctor. The size of the washing, the temperature of the water, keeping the laundry stove going to heat the water. Problems of baking and the oven temperature did not stay the right heat. She would just get the clothes on the line and a storm came up and she had to bring them in and hang them in the basement. etc.

Next time I will tell you about living in the house at 1821. N. Laurel, Phoenix Phone Al 43692. 1946-1959.