Arthur Jonas Kelsey was born on Oct 31, 1881 in Monterey Indiana, Pulaski County, Tippicanoe Township. Augusta Loretta Keitzer was born Nov 28, 1886 also in Monterey.

Arthur Jonas Kelsey was a M.D.

They were married May 3, 1904 at St. Ann's Catholic Church in Monterey Indiana. They had 11 children, all born in Monterey Indiana and all baptized at St. Ann's.

Moved to Cactus Arizona with Roberta (the youngest) in the 1940's because Augusta contacted Turburculosis and had a collapsed lung.

Arthur died July 27, 1950 in Monterey Indiana.
Augusta Keitzer Kelsey died July 1956 in Phoenix Arizona.  Possibly the 25th or 27th but the obituatry below said it was Saturday, which makes it the 28th.

{sjt#1-26} Email notes from Roberta Kelsey Thomas made for these pages:

Arthur Jonas Kelsey M.D. and Augusta Loretta (Keitzer) Kelsey were both born in Monterey, Indiana, Pulaski County, Tippicanoe Township. They were the children of William E. Kelsey M.D. and Helena (Steis) Kelsey and Henry and Marietta (Freese) Keitzer. They were married May 3, 1904 at St. Ann's Catholic Church in Monterey, Indiana. They had 11 children. All born in Monterey, Indiana and all baptized at St. Ann's.

Paul Charles Kelsey was born April 4, 1905. He was an electrical engineer, a graduate of Purdue University. He married Peggy (Margaret Johnson). They had two girls, Mary Elaine and Kathryn (Kathy) Frew.

Lawrence Edmond Kelsey was born February 6, 1907. He was a physician and surgeon. He graduated from Loyola Medical School in Chicago. He married Loretto Cooney. They had five children. William, John, Dennis, Maureen and Mary Margaret Gunnick.

Bernard Edgar Kelsey was born January 21, 1909 and died April 3, 1909. Cause of death pheumonia.

Mary Dorothy Kelsey Richter was born August 15, 1910. She graduated from St. Bernard's School of nursing in Chicago. She married William Alfred Richter. Bill Richter was a Chicago policeman. They had three children Marilyn Denno, Margaret (Midge)Holzinger, and John (Jack).

Catherine Ann Kelsey Hiland was born October 26, 1912. She graduated from St. Bernard's School of nursing in Chicago. She married Kenneth Nelson Hiland. He owned a grocery store, later a hardware store in Kewanna,Ind. He moved to Arizona and worked for a plumbing co.. They had four children, Carol Sue Graham, James, Gerald (Jerry) and Richard.

Charles Raymond Kelsey was born March 21, 1914. He graduated from Purdue in Indiana and then attended University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. He married Mary Helen Kennerk. She was a registered county health nurse. Charles farmed in Monterey, Indiana. They had seven children, Kathleen Hastings, Michael, Arthur, David, Robert, Martha Shouldis, and Terrance.

Martha Laverne Kelsey was born January 23, 1917, and died Oct. 26, 1922. Cause of death pneumonia.

Edward James Kelsey was born March 1, 1919. He attended college but did not graduate. He was a farmer in Monterey, Indiana. He married Vieve Markley. They had one daughter, Diana Lynn Garbutt.

Ruth Helena Kelsey Kleykamp was born March 7, 1921. She graduated from St. Mary's Springs Academy High School in Wisconsin. She attended nurses training but did not graduate. She was a housewife. She married Gayheart Conrad Kleykamp who was an accountant in Ashland, Kentucky. They moved to Phoenix Arizona where he graduated from ASU, Tempe. His field was cable television. They had four children, Jeanne Marie Vaughan, Tommy, Roberta Ann Lintz, and Michael.

William Henry Kelsey was born September 6, 1922, and died February 20, 1923. Cause of death was pneumonia.

Roberta Cecilia Kelsey Thomas was born August 31, 1924. She graduated from Arizona state University in Tempe, Arizona. She was an elementary school teacher. She married William Ray Thomas a mechanical engineer. They had four children, Elaine Campbell, Scott, Alan and David.

{sjt#1-16} Marriage license of Arthur Jonas Kelsey to Augusta Loretta Keitzer: They married May 3rd, 1904 in Pulaski County Indiana.
{sjt#1-14}Obituary from an unknown newspaper (he died July 25, 1950): Quick Call Takes Well Known Doctor ---- Dr. Arthur J. Kelsey, Life Resident of Monterey, Passes Away.  ----   The death of Dr. Arthur J. Kelsey, prominent Monterey physician, occured suddenly Tuesday afternoon at his home in Monterey. He was sixty-nine years old.
Funeral services are to be held Friday morning at nine o'clock at St. Ann's church in Monterey, in charge of the Rev. Frederick Schroeder. Burial will be in the Catholic cemetery at Monterey. The body will be returned from the Kennedy home to the residence, where the rosary will be recited this (Thursday) evening at eight o'clock.
The doctor was born in Monterey on Oct 31, 1881, and spent his entire life there. He was a son of Dr. and Mrs. William Kelsey. His marriage to Miss Augusta Keitzer took place in 1904. He was a member of the state and county medical societies, Fulton County hospital staff and Holy Name society of St. Ann's church.
Surviving, besides his wife, are seven children - Dr. Lawrence Kelsey of Kewanna, Charles and Edward Kelsey of Monterey, Paul of Huntington, W. Va., Mrs. Mary Richter of Chicago, Mrs. Ruth Kleykamp of Ashland, Ky., Miss Roberta Kelsey of Phoenix, Ariz.; Mrs. Catherine Hiland of Kewanna, also a sister, Mrs. Emma Wentzel of Denver, Colo.

{sjt#1-14}Obituary from another unknown newspaper: Dr. Kelsey Dies At Monterey  ---- Dr. Arthur J. Kelsey, 69, well known Pulaski county doctor, died Tuesday afternnon about 1 o'clock of a heart attack at his monterey home.
Born in Monterey on Oct 31, 1881, the son of Dr. and Mrs. William Kelsey, he spent his entire life in the Tippecanoe township town. He was married to Augusta Keitzer in Monterey May 3, 1904. Dr. Kelsey was a member of the Indiana and Pulaski County Medical Societies, Fulton county hospital staff and the Holy Name Society of St. Ann's church.
Survivors include the widow, four sons, Dr. Lawrence Kelsey of Kewanna; Charles and Edward Kelsey of Monterey, Paul of Huntington, W. Va; three daughters, Mrs. Mary Richter of Chicago; Mrs. Ruth Kleykamp of Ashland, Ky., Miss Roberta Kelsey of Phoenix, Ariz., [they missed Catherine] and a sister, Mrs. Emma Wentzel of Denver, Colo.
Funeral services will be held at 9 o'clock  Friday morning in St. Ann's church at Monterey, with Rev. Frederick Schroeder officiating. Burial will be in St. Ann's cemetery.
The body is at the Kennedy funeral home and will be returned to his home where the rosary will be recited at 8 o'clock this (Thursday) evening.

{sjt#1-14}Obituary from another unknown newspaper: Mrs. Arthur J. Kelsey --- Mrs. Augusta Kelsey, widow of Dr. Arthur J. Kelsey and former well known Monterey resident, died Saturday at her home in Phoenix, Ariz. She was sixty-nine years old.
The body was returned to the Kennedy funeral home, where the rosary was recited at 8 o'clock Tuesday night. Final rites were held Wednesday morning at St. Ann's church in Monterey, in charge of the Rev. Charles Remaklus. Burial was in the Catholic cemetery there.
Mrs. Kelsey was born Nov. 28, 1886, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henery Keitzer. Her marriage to Dr. Kelsey took place in 1904, and he passed away in 1950. Surviving are eight children - Paul Kelsey of Huntington, W. Va., Dr. Lawrence Welsey [should be Kelsey] and Mrs. Catherine Hiland of Kewanna, Mrs. Mary Richter of Chicago, Mrs. Ruth Kleykemp of Ashland, Ky. Miss Roberta Kelsey of Phoenix, Ariz., Charles and Edward of Monterey; sister, Mrs. Mildred Fowble of Hobart; brothers, Charles Keitzer of Monterey, Robert of Ft. Wayne.

From a phone conversation with Charles Kelsey:  Arthur built a 5 bedroom house in Monterey in 1922 for $14000.  This was apparently accros the street from his previous house. Charles Kelsey remembers working on the roof when a plane flew over. It was the 1st plane seen around Monterey and it landed in a field and offered rides for about 2 cents a pound.
{sjt#1-7} Report from Robert Keitzer Jr.: All the children of Arthur and Augusta were born in Monterey Indiana.

The movement for a library at Monterey began in late 1916, when the late Homer L. Rogers, Pulaski County Superintendent of Schools, mentioned to Elmer Johnson the idea of requesting Carnegie Foundation Grant money for this purpose.

On December 10, 1916, a library board was formed with the Monterey Town Board appointing Dr. A. J. Kelsey as its first member. Soon after five other members, Lenore Bringham (Keitzer), F.A. Keiter, George Langenbahn, Lillian Marbaugh (Johnson) and W.B. Kleckner, were appointed by Judge Pentecost, Judge of the Pulaski Circuit Court.

The library board held its first organized meeting on the evening of January 8, 1917 in one of the member's homes to discuss plans for a library. Officers were elected and by-laws were framed that night.

On January 11, 1917, Henry N. Sanborn, secretary and state organizer from the Public Library Commission of Indiana arrived in Delong at 11:28 a.m. by Vandalia Railroad. He traveled to Monterey and met with members of the library board regarding the establishment of a library.

In April 1917, the Carnegie Corporation offered the $5,000 donation (the Monterey-Tippecanoe Carnegie Public Library was the smallest unit to have been granted a subsidy for a library building by the Carnegie Foundation) if a deed for the ground could be presented and if a tax for the upkeep of the building could be assured. Land for the building, secured from Dr. William Kelsey, was probably a donation, though the recorded deed states that it was purchased for $250.00.

Samuel A. Craig of Huntington was selected as architect. The library board accepted the architect's plans at their June 1917 meeting. These plans were immediately submitted to the Carnegie Corporation for approval. Mr. Craig would travel to Monterey from time to time on the morning milk train (Erie) and return that evening by the same mode.

Sealed bids for the building were received August 17, 1917. The lowest bid of $6,220 was reduced to $5,000, or perhaps less, by omitting several items originally listed. Although approval for the grant was given, the secretary of the Carnegie Corporation, Mr. James Bertram, questioned how the library "could get along without complete plumbing, electric wiring and furniture". The town was without any electricity until about 1921, therefore, the omissions were not as serious as they seemed to Mr. Bertram. The contract was awarded to Master Bros., Monterey, since they were the lowest bidder. The Carnegie Grant proved not to be sufficient to cover all costs and the community raised the remaining sum by subscription.

The September 1918 library board meeting was held in the "New Public Library". The minutes of the meeting do not indicate to what extent the building was completed. However, the library board accepted applications for the position of Librarian at the October meeting and Mrs. Lena Collins was hired at a salary of $30 per month. The library's opening date was set for October 16, 1918.

The library's book collection was started with one book, "The Rose of St. Louis", which was probably a donation. Dr. A.J. Kelsey did most of the book purchasing. The books were indexed in 1921, periodicals were added in 1922 and "The New Britannica Encyclopedia" was purchased in 1924.

The depression seriously curtailed service in the 1930's and the library found it difficult to remain open three days a week. Throughout the War years, the services of a librarian were difficult to obtain. For a time the library was only open during evening hours. During the middle 40's a regular librarian was employed and progress again was evident. The first children's reading club was held in 1950 and has been held every summer since then.

The Town of Monterey and Tippecanoe Township united into one taxing unit in support of the library in September 1953. Improvements in that decade included modernization of the electric wiring, new lights, water system, septic tank, rest rooms and a railing on the front steps. Many of these had been in the original plans.

In 1974 a new front entrance, including doors, steps, handrails and sidewalks and a new restroom fashioned from the existing two small ones was approved at a cost of $6,549, with the contract for the work being given to Easterday Construction Company, Culver, IN.

With a vision and a dream for future expansion, the property adjacent to the library was purchased in 1986. During this decade, the grounds were totally re-landscaped, new furnace and central air-conditioning systems were installed, videocassettes were added to the collection and a copy machine was purchased.

The 1990's saw much growth, not only in technology, but also physical expansion. In 1993 the basement was totally remodeled and the upstairs received new carpeting and shelving. A fax machine was purchased in 1994, computers added in 1995, and public Internet access offered in 1996. On April 14, 1998 ground was broken for a $780,000 expansion project. A 3,280 square foot addition was constructed on the south side of the original Carnegie structure, over doubling the facility's size. A parking lot, new ground floor entrance, elevator, two new accessible restrooms, and program room were all part of the project. New shelving and seating were also added. H. L. Mohler of Lafayette, IN, was the architect and Easterday's Construction Company of Culver, IN, was the contractor. This project was made possible through the combined use of State and Federal funding sources. The Town of Monterey, on behalf of the library, was awarded a $375,000 Department of Commerce Community Focus Fund Grant and the library received a $47,000 grant and a long-term low interest loan of $358,000 from USA Rural Development. A dedication ceremony was held on October 15, 1999.

Today, the library's holdings total over 15,000. There are eight computers for public use. CD-ROM's and DVD's have been added to the collection. An automation project, including conversion of the card catalog to MARC records, was completed in 2001. The AMLIB circulation system with a web-based patron access catalog is now in use.

{SJT#8-6} List of the grandchildren of AJ and Augusta Kelsey, not in any order. Transcribed from notes by Roberta Kelsey Thomas. First column is her notes, send column was written as she talked.
1) Carol Sue Hiland Graham - Feb 6th Catherine #1
1) Carol Sue Hiland Graham - Feb 6th Catherine #1
2) Marylin Richter Denno Mary #1
3) Michael Kelsey Charles #2
4) Kathleen Kelsey Hastings - Oct 2nd Charles #1
5) William Kelsey (Bill) May 21 Lawrence #1
6) Margaret (Midge) Richter - Dec 6th Mary #2
7) John (Jack) Richter Feb 3rd Mary #3
8) Mary Elaine Kelsey Paul #1
9) Kaythern Kelsey Paul #2
10) James Hiland May 4th Catherine #2
11) Gerald (Jerry) Hiland Mar 23 Catherine #3
12) Richard Hiland - Sept 28 Catherine #4
13) Arthur - Sept 7th Charles #3
14) Robert Oct 22 Charles #4
15) Martha - Feb 4th Charles #5
16) David Feb 4th Charles #6
17) Terrance July 22 Charles #7
18) Diana Kelsey Garbutt - Oct 3rd Edward #1 Only child, lives in Tempe
19) Jeanne Marie Kleykamp - Jan 16th Ruth #1
20) Thomas (Tommy) Kleykamp Nov. Ruth #2
21) Roberta Ann Kleykamp. Lintz Ruth #3
22) Michael Kleykamp Ruth #4
23) Elaine Marie Thomas Nov, 25 1959 Roberta #1
24) Scott James Thomas Aug 21 '61 Roberta #2
25) Alan William Thomas Oct 4, '63 Roberta #3
26) David Robert Thomas Nov 3, '64 Roberta #4
27) John Paul Kelsey - Nov14 Lawrence #2
28) Maureen Kelsey - July 31 Lawrence #4 Lives in Scottsdale
29) Dennis Kelsey -- May 22 Lawrence #3
30) Mary Margaret Drago Lawrence #5

Backside of {SJT#8-6} (list of trips as described by Charles and written by Roberta, typed by Scott Thomas as Roberta talked so it is embellished):
1927 - Mary, Katherine, Charles, went with Mom & Dad in model T to Su St Marie & Niagara Falls. It was a 2 week trip and it rained 11 days. While Ruth and Roberta stayed with Grandma Keitzer (Marietta Freese). Edward stayed with Grandma Kelsey (Helena Steis). Paul and Lawrence were in college (Purdue & Loyola). Grandma had a porch swing and Roberta and Ruth would swing and eat jelly beans. They would play with the water pump, racing the water down the hill.
1928 - Florence Alabama, New dam on Tennessee River, Model T. Mom & Dad and Mary, Catherine, Charles.
1929 - Mary Catherine, Charles. Marion, Kansas. Pueblo Colorado. Jack Prior family, to see a man whose daughter Dad had gone to CO because of TB. Grand Canyon to Prescott then to Phx, Tucson, San Diego. The road was paved probably only 1 year. Sacramento to see capitol, San Francisco coast to ferry across bay. No Golden Gate Bridge. Mt. Hood picked cherries, Mt. Rainier. Seattle stayed with Dr. West, Dad's classmate in Medical school. Vancouver BC, Yellowstone, Salt Lake, Monterey.
1931-Detroit. Catherine, Charles, Edward. To Halifax. Tunnel to Winsor Canada. Bay of Fundi in Nova Scotia. Picked blueberries in Maine. Washington D.C. and home.

Another Document:
Old Sayings:
Market Basket
Union Suit - underwear
Ear Bobs (ear rings)
Soda Pop
Tin Foil
Cross The Line - (boarder)
High Ball
Jaloppy - old car
Ice Box - refrigerator
Sock Cap
Wash Rag
Dish Rag
Pickle jar
Settee - couch
Valise - suitcase
Lead Pencil
Dish Pan
Lard Jar
Waste Paper Basket
Slop Jar - chamber pot
Specks - glasses
Supper (dinner was at noon, there was no lunch).
Market Basket
Marcel - have your hair done in waves.
Ear Clips - ear rings

Description of Monterey IN by Roberta Kelsey Thomas {SJT#8-7}:
Monterey Indiana Population 350
The center of town, corner red brick two story building was Vic Follmer's grocery store. The window trim was white. The store was narrow with shelves up high on both sides. The custom was to tell the grocer what you wanted, he did all the reaching would reaching and running for the item. He also cut the meat and rolled it up in a package of brown or white paper. Some items were in bulk and had to be spooned into a sack. Sewing supplies were also available. Glass cases held sewing supplies. The store had a side door visible from our house. The front door was on main street and the back door went to the alley. Vic had a helper. Kenneth Hiland (a teen, also worked at gas station) was one of them. There was a gum machine (a penny) on a post in front of the grocery store. The tavern was a scary dark place. Only windows in the front. (of course women would never think of going in there) There was a long bar, usually a lot of customers. Poker played in the back. Lawrence played there when he was home from medical school. He had lots of tokens in the (bottom) dresser drawer of his room. He once in a while would give me a token for an ice cream cone. A dark stairway near here led to an upstairs dance hall. I can remember the music & Cath & Mary were at the dance on Sat nights. Chapman (IGA) grocery store was in the next building. Wayne was one of the (Chapman) boys. Catherine loved to sit on a bench outside (the grocery store) on Main street, chew gum & talk to the young people. The hardware store owned by Ed Masters was next. (Ed helped build the house) Ed & Ida Masters had 11 children. Dorothy, Philip, --, Wilma, Carl, Rudolph (Rudy was so handsome), Alberta, John, Martha (died, which really hurt AJ, he couldn't save her), Pauline, Jeanie. (They were all so talented) Carl liked Ruth Kelsey, Martha was in my class. The masters were very crafty, the girls all could sew, they were all good singers. Pauline opened a beauty shop in 1950's or 60's. Alberta was known for her sewing talents. Even as early as 7th grade she could make a pattern for a dress. She designed quilts in later years. Wilma married Walter Kelsey (son of AJ's eldest step brother, William) and ran the grocery store after Vic Follmer passed away. She also worked in the drug store as a young girl. In the 60s and 70s she took care of the boats in the river (they rented them out). (Wilma was who stayed with Mary Helen as she slowly died) Wilma also was a cook at the restaurant (which was part of the tavern).

Biography of Arthur Jonas Kelsey {file sjt#8-5}:

May 12,1997 (by Roberta Kelsey Thomas)
Arthur Jonas Kelsey M.D. was born in Monterey, Indiana, Pulaski County, October 31. 1881. His father was William E. Kelsey M.D. His mother was Helena Steis Kelsey. William E. Kelsey's first wife Claudine died. Children of this marriage were William, Donald, Nellie and Walter Kelsey. (comments by SJT: Just to make this clear, WE Kelsey's wife, before Helena Steis, was Sarah Barnes (not Claudine). WE Kelsey (sr) and Sarah Barnes had a son WE Kelsey (jr), who married Claudine Misner and they had, Walter, William, Donald, Nellie.)
Helena was a house keeper and much younger than the first wife Claudine. Emma was the only other child born to William and Helena. These are the names of my grandparents and Aunt Emma. Half 1st cousins Nellie, Donald, William and Walter. Grandma Kelsey was nicknamed Laney.
Arthur graduated from Rush Medical School in Chicago, 1903. He returned to Monterey and married Augusta Keitzer Kelsey on May 3, 1904. Augusta was born in Monterey on Nov. 28, 1886. Arthur and Augusta had 11 children, all born and 8 of them schooled in their early years in Monterey, Indiana.
Nellie Kelsey Overmyer told me she thought he acquired most of his religious beliefs from Mary Steis Meyers who was Grandma Kelsey's (Helena Steis) sister, who lived in Chicago. She said Arthur lived with Mary Meyers, his aunt, when he went to medical school. Nellie said he always went to daily mass when he was young. When Mary Meyers came to Monterey she too went to daily mass. Grandma Helena Kelsey was not that good a catholic and William E. had a dislike for the church.
Here are some things I remember about my dad. He was known in Monterey as A.J. He was involved in all that mattered to the town and to the people of Monterey. Starting in 1904 he delivered most of the children up to 1949. Mary Helen Kennerk Kelsey (Charles' wife) said he would have made a good pediatrician. This was repeated by Mary Alice Dilts Susnarjo (best friend of Roberta Kelsey from Monterey). The two small books list all the births. The births had to be recorded at the Court House in Winamac.
Uncle Charlie Keitzer was the town's First National Bank president and thus he was aware of how the town was succeeding. A.J. Kelsey was involved with getting the Carnegie Library, knowing Carniege when he was in Chicago. He ordered the books for the library. He kept abreast of the news of the world. He visited with people who came into town. He knew everyone who lived in the county. The bank , the elevator, the lumber yard, the dairy were all run by relatives or people he saw every day.
Arthur believed in a formal education for all his children. He felt everyone should play a musical instrument. All were offered a chance to better themselves but not all accepted. Religion was taught by example from parents and by attending Catholic school. Not by verbal lessons. Prayer books were kept on the colonnade taken on the way to church and returned to the same place after service.
Sunday was a day of rest. After church classical music was played on the Victrola in the dining room. Someone had to attend to the cranking and turning over the record. After a big Sunday breakfast and lunch, cooking for the day ended. We were taught to not do any work on Sunday. Sewing even embroidery was considered work. We had to stay close to the phone but other people in town went to visiting or had company. Besides, we only had one car and it always had to be at hand for a quick medical call.
Dad only had dress shirts, wore a conservative tie daily. He wore a suit with a vest. High top black shoes, size 12, and always a dark gray, felt, hat, with one straight crease in the top. The hat was worn squarely with the front brim down. He carried and used white handkerchiefs. He work dark-rimmed glasses.
Dad was 6 feet tall, stayed around 175-180 lbs. most of his life. In late years after retirement he put weight on the middle front but not to exceed 190 pounds.
He bought a new car every year always the same, 2-door, gun metal color, dark gray Chevrolet. His car was his way to see the patients in the country. He carried 3 medical bags. One was strictly for OB . it contained a rubber sheet, and his record books. One bag was just for medicine. Looks to me like the picture of Grandpa William E. Kelsey is holding this medicine bag. The other big bag, held the stethoscope, blood pressure kit, tec.
The telephone system in Monterey had an office on the main street in town. Calling the doctor meant the ring came to the Dr.'s office and to the doctor's house. If he was out on a call, Mother had to be home to get the call and try to locate him. Finding Dad was one of Mother's biggest tasks. He was visiting with people on the streets. He was driving slowly out on a call. When he drove the country area he looked at crops, talked to farmers, gathered wild berries beside the road and many other foods and or flowers like bittersweet. People in the country many times did not have a phone. Sometimes in desperation she would call a house near and say have you seen him go by. He sometimes drove slowly and listened to the radio that was attached to the steering column. In the meantime Mother was nervous at home.
When Dad came home for dinner he parked the car on the south side of the house and came in the back door. When he walked home from the office he would come in via the front door. When the day ended he parked the car in the garage. The doors were never shut. In 1943 and the war was on, we got a new car but we had to take what was available. It was pea green. My parents were aghast at the color. We were lucky to have a new car. In the 1940's coming from Indiana my parents came via New Orleans. They didn't arrive until Nov. While in La. they found out they could get the license in that state for $3.00. So all year we drove around Phoenix with the Pelican emblem on our plates. Mother was so embarrassed when people would wave. To think we were from LA!
Dad was quiet and strict at the house. He liked to listen to the radio. He had programs he listened to daily. Lowell Thomas, Amos and Andy, Jack Benny, Eddie Cantor and his song 'potatoes are cheaper, tomatoes are cheaper, now's the time to fall in love', news etc. He had a green upholstered rocker on a throw rug next to the radio in the living room. In the late 1920's he had an extension line running the length of the house to the breakfast room. We had to be very quiet when we ate so he could hear the radio. The station was Chicago, 80 miles away. Storms etc. made reception very poor. Even in good weather it was not easy to hear.
One of the jobs someone had to be brave to do was to call Dad to dinner. He would be reading the paper and listening to the radio. We were all afraid to disrupt him. I guess he gave us a stare with his light blue eyes. I can't remember him being mean, so I often wonder why we were all so afraid of him. He really smiled a lot and was good to talk to other kids. When I would go over to his office and ask for a nickel he would give it to me and sometimes one to my friend. I usually had to ask him for the 50 cents that I needed for my piano lesson and he also gave a smile at that time. Guess we looked to him as the rule, or authority. For sure everyone respected him.
Dad had a lot of local Indiana expressions. I wish I could remember more. He would say, "just as sure as twice two is four." Or "hotter than a little red wagon." Bill Kelsey says he would use the word "ought" as in 1904. (Nineteen ought four).
Dad played the baby grand piano. He was not good but he did love classical music. He missed the keys and even I can remember saying, "Listen to Dad, he is missing the notes."
Dad loved P.W. Crackers and long horn cheese. He had coffee every morning which he made when he came home from 6A.M. mass. After he had an evening meal he like to put Karo syrup in a shallow dish and with bites of bread on a fork he would dip into the syrup until it was all gone. He never complained about the cooking. He ate all foods. He was fond of his annual gooseberry pie. He would find a bush and bring home enough for at least one pie a year. We ate a lot of meat and dairy products. Most of our food came from the farm called the Deckman farm or from our own small garden, from Grandma Keitzer's or a patient would bring us food. We got a lot of food for payment for services. Such as a 6 month supply of potatoes, a side of beef, bushels of vegetables, etc. For services we also got beautiful quilts all hand made with tiny stitches. People would come and shovel coal into our basement window, or come stack wood in the basement.
Dad liked to talk politics. He read and listened to war news. He was so nervous over the war. He was a lifetime Republican. He talked farm crops and road conditions. He knew what the new products were. We had nice things when I was born in 1924. Such as hardwood floors that were polished slick. Oriental rugs, baby grand piano, venetian blinds, nice light fixtures, glider on the front porch, ferns in a sun parlor, two car garage, cistern under the house. We had at the kitchen sink hot and cold well water, and hot and cold rain water. We had a galvanized probably tin, roof. We also had 5 bedrooms and 2 baths. The house had a full basement. He bought mother gifts for the house.
Dad enjoyed the 1933 World's Fair in Chicago. He managed to get there probably 20 times. He brought home the ideas seen there to the people who did not have the opportunity to see what the world was all about. I do remember I only got there one time, but Ruth and Edward got to go several times.
Likes to do carpentry work - worked at building big house in Monterey. Could do all the maintenance on our house. Cabinets, plumbing, electrical, sanded our hardwood floor, the refinished with the electric polishers in the 1930's. Put pipes around house, made a sprinkler system (pipes with many holes), and installed the venetian blinds.
Dad enjoyed traveling but of course he didn't get to go often. The first trip that I know he took was in 1929. A car was outfitted with a running board with a fitted box to hold extra supplies for camping. The back seat was taken out and replaced with the tent and blankets. The trip was to Arizona, where they saw the Grand Canyon and out on the Apache trail. Still a rugged road today, 1997. They went to San Diego, via of Yuma and the road built on boards across the dunes. Up the coast of California to Oregon and Washington. They met people who gave them fresh berries and red bing cherries. He took along Mary, Catherine and Charles. In 1934 another trip took us to Denver, then to Wyoming, then to Mt. Rushmore in ND. to Regina, Canada into Wisconsin to Devil's Lake and back to Indiana.
We started the trip to Arizona in Nov. 1937. Stayed a week in El Paso, a week in Tucson and about 6 weeks on East Van Buren in a trailer court. After Christmas moving to Cactus, AZ now Thunderbird and Cave Creek Road. Each summer vacation from my school we traveled to San Diego, or Compton/Long Beach, San Bemardino, or to Prescott. Day trips all summer long each year. Visited the zoo while it was still under construction. Had to sit in an unfinished bear den until the rain stopped. Followed the fire hazard roads on the San Bernardino Mountains. Meantime mother spent the days alone in the trailer recuperating from TB. Dad love the scenery of the west, the color of the mountains constantly changing. He wanted to see the engineering feats. such as the Boulder Dam, he wide highways. He loved swimming in the Pacific Ocean, jumping the waves. He liked me to be out with him but I always was afraid and did swallow a lot of water. He loved following the Colorado mountain streams. He played guessing games as we traveled across the panhandle of Texas. Example: Let's guess how far it is to the next elevator. We counted train cars. Watched license plates. We were aghast at the oil wells in Long Beach. We would follow the opening of a business with the search lights while in Compton. We would visit airports just to see the planes. We hit the museums. We went to travel log speeches, such as those given by Barry Goldwater in the 1940's. We watched them build Bartlett Dam. We went to Pinnacle Peak to watch them shear sheep. We took in the Indian Ruins in what is now downtown Phoenix.
Dad loved to play golf on the home made oiled greens at Cactus. He climbed all the hills of Phoenix, those around Cactus such as camelback and Squaw Peak, daily. He would drive his car around the desert. Usually didn't get too far because of the washes. He enjoyed doing crafts such as pictures on thin copper. A craft I learned at the Desert Mission in Sunnyslope. Then I came home with the idea of making place mats. I am sure he made 30, 3-piece sets. I still have the frames and shuttles and a few of the mats. All the family and many friends in Arizona and Indiana got a set. He used knit crosheen, which he would buy on Saturdays in downtown Phoenix.
Saturday was the day we went into town from the desert for 4 years and bought groceries. We came home with a car full. The folks were so proud to get carrots, radishes, green onions for one cent a bunch. Oranges and grapefruit was also 1 cent a piece. Dad loved a bargain. One time coming home from the day at the beach at Long Beach. He only had a one dollar bill. He stopped at the store and bought round steak veg. and fruit etc. It was what they wrote about that week in the letters. Everyone in America watched their money because they had all gone through the great depression. My dad was aware of all the extreme poverty in Monterey and around the country. We didn't have much, but it was still far more than other people. Especially when you think of how many children he had to clothe, feed and educate.
Grandpa Kelsey left this life penniless. Dad gave Grandma money for her groceries. I don't know what else she had. But on the other hand people didn't need much. They ripped apart clothes and re-styled them. Or people handed down clothes. People wore the same hat and coat for years and shoes were mended, resoled or heeled.
Dad's will left money to an orphanage that no longer existed. He wanted money to go for the upkeep of the gothic style alters at the church in Monterey. The will was made before Ruth and I were born, but this is what happened. He wanted the boys to get the farm they had worked for years. Mary was to get her farm house called Sandy Haven, I, Roberta, was to get the house in Phoenix and the rest of the money was to go to the remaining children.
I never in my life heard my Dad raise his voice at Mother. I never heard him tell her she was doing something wrong. I never remember him saying you spend too much money. I never heard him say I have no clean shirt etc. I think he approved of all that she did. They always talked when they got in bed at night. I was still sleeping in the crib when I was in the first grade and in their room. Their talking put me to sleep. They giggled a lot. He told about his day and she told about her day. I still can remember hearing my mother say, "Oh Arthur!"
While in Indiana, he liked to play pinochle, but often the game was interrupted with a call. Mother and Dad would have the priest over.
We always watched the Maricopa Indians in front of the Walgreens and the dime store on the sidewalks, selling their colorful pots. They sat on newspapers wearing their big dresses. Never bought a pot. We drove around the poorest sections of town south of the tracks. People lived in dirt floor houses or adobe houses. Dad would give me a dime to go to the movies every Saturday.
Dad enjoyed cooking in the ttrailer. He took over in 1937 - Mother lay on the bed and told what pan to start with. After months he had his own recipes for pumpkin pie. He loved making baking powder biscuits. Biscuits and chicken gravy.
The first year we traveled, we were very tired, in a desolate place, no trailer park or town near. He pulled off onto the desert like area. Put on the lights using the car battery. Made biscuits and opened a can of cold packed (canned) chicken. It was the greatest meal. He commented, "Look at this good food!"
Wore a gold watch. Did not have a wedding band.
Called Mother Augusta, but many in Monterey, like Aunt Mildred her sister, called her Gussie.
Dad loved the house in Phoenix. 1821 N Laurel Ave., Phx. Phone AL43692. He had to look for months for a house for sale between Central and 15th Ave, near the park. Stayed in trailer while Dad worked everyday on the 3 bedroom, 1 bath home. 7 years old. $10,000. Furniture was hard to find. Mrs. Regan at Burrows helped him -- called when something came in. WWII on. Worked on the steel frames of windows, came in saying, "that song, 'let it snow, let it snow', keeps going through my mind."
Went to book reviews at Phx college. Went to the movies at the new Palm Lane Theater, saw Going My Way with Bing Crosby. Went to the Heard Museum for lectures.
When Dad died in 1950, Mother said, 'Dad liked strawberries so much I'll have to eat them for him.'

{sjt#8-10} Disjointed notes by Roberta Kelsey Thomas:
Augusta L. (Keitzer) Kelsey: 1886-1956
Arthur Jonas Kelsey M.D.: 1881-1950 (Grad of rush medical school - Chicago, IL)

3rd Child: Bernard Edgar Kelsey: Jan-21-09 Apr 3, 1909.
Martha Laverne Kelsey: Jan 23, 1917 Oct 26, 1922.
William Henry Kelsey: Sept 6, 1922 - Feb 20, 1923.

Children in order:
Paul, Lawrence, Bernard, Mary, Catherine, Charles, Martha, Edward, Ruth, William, Roberta.

As part of a 8th grade genetics homework by Amanda Thomas, Roberta Thomas had this to say about hair color in the family: Arthur had auburn (reddish), wavy hair. Augusta had the mousey (light brown) hair which was typical for the whole family. Ruth had the auburn, wavy hair. Lawrence and Edward also had the wavy hair. Paul probably had the darkest hair, but it was thin (as not much hair). Roberta had the lightest color. Both Roberta and Katherine had fine (skinny) hair. Roberta did not seem to think there was much special at all obout the family's hair. -SJT, April 2020.



Born April 4, 1905. Married Margaret Johnson. Had two children.



Born February 6, 1907. Married Loretta Cooney. Had five children.



Born January 21, 1909, Died April 3, 1909 from pneumonia.


Born August15, 1910. Married William Richter. Had three children.



Born October 26, 1912. Married Kenneth Hiland. Had four children.



Born March 21, 1915. Six children by Mary Helen Kennerk. [birth date is from Charles himself]



Born January 23, 1917,  died October 26, 1922 from pneumonia.


Born March 1, 1919. Married Vieve Markley. Had one child.



Born March 7, 1921. Married Gayheart Kleykamp. Has four children.



Born September 6, 1922, died February 20, 1923 from pneumonia.


Born August 31, 1924. Married William Thomas. Has four children.